Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Boudoir

Awhile ago I remember writing a post about our bedroom. The wonky space where a headboard should go was a problem then as much as it is today. Having made a garland to try to solve the problem it didn't last long. One night it came loose and landed on my head, making me jump right out of my skin. Don't get me wrong the garland was lovely but it just needs something more.
Nightstands are something we no longer have to worry about. Finally after searching at auctions and flea markets and not finding exactly what I wanted I decided we couldn't wait any longer. Going down to the barn I rummaged around, hubby helped cleaned them up, we painted one, and I told myself they would work for now. For not being perfect, they have grown on me.
Grabbing a crochet hook and some yarn, I sat on my bed yesterday and started a ripple blanket. There was no noise from the monsters as they were tucked away in bed, the television was off, and Buster was snoring in the kitchen. It felt really good to be able to just close the door to our room, put a drink on my nightstand, and relax. Very rarely does it ever get that quiet in our house. 
I remember a time when my bedroom was the place to be. Best friends would come over and we would have slumber parties. There was my orange phase that started in middle school and went into my freshman year of high school. Everything had to be orange and my reasoning was because when you ask someone what their favorite color is very few people say orange. The bedroom was where I did my homework, talked on the phone, read a book, and even painted my nails.  
Now as an adult it seems like some of that is lost, spending most of my time now in the living room or doing late night projects in the kitchen or studio. Often I tell my children to clean their rooms wondering how they get messy so fast. The difference is they live in their rooms like I use too. 
Granted after decorating a little more and realizing the true value in my adult room I think a little more mom time outs are in order. Maybe with all that free time staring at "the space" I'll think of something really clever to do with it.
Tonight I think I am going to grab a book, reclaim my youth, and spend the night in my room reading.

7 comments:

Prairie Rose said...

Amanda! Your bedroom is darling and bright and just lovely!
The other day on Pinterest I saw a couple of different headboards that would look awesome in your room.
One was made of two old doors and the other was simply a slab of old barn wood.
Anyway, I know you will find just the right thing and when you do, please share!
Have a super day!

Unknown said...

I really like this post. Granted, I'm not a mom (yet), but I've still been thinking about how much of my life was in my room when I was younger and lived with my parents. Nowadays, the space is neglected. Must figure out how to change that... I've been looking into some DIY headboard options lately, and I'm hoping some inspiration will jump out at me soon.

Enjoy your book!

greenrabbitdesigns said...

I think your bedroom looks great. A little while back my kids removed thier headboards as they decided that they were un-cool!!
I too had an orange bedroom during my teenage years.
Vivienne x

Anonymous said...

You have such an awesome style. I love your decorating and your writing.

Eileen {bluebirdluxe} said...

It's so beautiful and dreamy! I live in earthquake country so I'm really paranoid about hanging anything over my bed {but I'll try a garland!}, I would love to find something. Your quilt is gorgeous! :) I love your style, too!

Cottage 1945 said...

You have a beautiful bedroom!

found and sewn said...

your bedroom looks really lovely. beautiful space